HIGH COUNTRY MILITARY OFFICERS ASSOCIATION, Inc.
A 501(c)19 Taxes Exempt Veterans Organization
Military Officers Association of America
Post Office Box 3312
Boone, NC 28607
Board of Directors Meeting
1 February 2017
- The Board of Directors meeting for the High Country Military Officers Association, Inc. was called to order by CAPT Fred Schmitt, USCG, (RET), President of the Association, at 1725 at the Sagebrush Restaurant in Boone, North Carolina.
- Officers Present:
COL John Alley, USA   Director
LTC Ron Branch, USA   ROTC/JROTC Coordinator
LtCol George Brudzinski, USMC Director
LTC Dave Garvin, USA Secretary
LTC Mike Halus, USA Personal Affairs
Capt Doug May, Ph.D., USMC Assistant Secretary/ Web Master
MAJ Dinah Pinney, USAF Treasurer
CAPT Fred Schmitt, USCG President
MAJ Marvin Williamsen, USA
CAPT Charles Rhodes, USN
- Officers Absent:
Maj James Bell, USMC Chaplain
COL Ben Covington, USA Personal Affairs
CPT Nick Friedman, USA Director
MAJ Bob Gibbard, USA Past President
LTC Ed Groff, USA Public Relations
- Approval of Minutes: LTC Dave Garvin, Secretary
The minutes of the Board of Directors meeting on 4 January 2017 were approved without change.
- Treasurer's Report: MAJ Dinah Pinney, Treasurer
- Administrative Account - $15,562.10
- Scholarship Account - $3,662.04
- Total Cash On Hand - $19,224.14
- $88.00 - Membership Dues.
- $10.46 - Interest Income.
- Expenses: None
- The treasurer reminded the Board that the Chapter has pledged a $10,000.00 donation for the Veterans' Memorial.
- The Board approved payment of $87.00 for NC Council of Chapters annual dues.
- The Board approved a $250.00 donation to Wounded Warriors Ski Weekend to be held at Appalachian Ski Mountain.
- Old Business:
- Veterans' Memorial: Fund raising for the Memorial is moving slowly. Orange County, NC, is also raising money for a Veterans' Memorial.
- Vacant High Country Chapter Officer Positions:
- Capt Douglas May, USMC (FRM) has accepted the position of "interim" 1st VP.
- CAPT Charles Rhodes, USN (RET) is considering accepting the position of "interim" 2nd VP.
- MAJ Marvin Williamsen, USA (RET) is considering accepting the position of Chapter Secretary.
- A candidate is still needed for the position of Chapter Treasurer.
- Five Star Level of Excellence Award: CAPT Frederick Schmitt, USCG (RET), is putting together the level of excellence package. Supporting documentation is still needed.
- General Membership Meeting: The next Chapter general member meeting is scheduled for 25 March at the Fairway Café, Boone Golf Club. Cost will be $30/attendee.
- New Business:
- Chapter Major Fund Raising Event: Applebee's Restaurant will no longer support the annual pancake breakfast fund raising event.
- Café' Rustica has offered to host a spaghetti lunch.
- Expand the Strikes for Solders event.
- Relay for Life: The High Country Chapter will no longer support the Relay for Life except to carry the National Flag and service flags for the "survivors lap."
- 1451st Transportation Company (NCANG) Family Day: The High Country Chapter will support a 1451st Family Day to be held sometime during the summer months with gift cards and school supplies.
- Adjournment: There being no further business, the Board of Directors meeting of the High Country Military Officers Association, Inc. was adjourned at 1820 to meet again on 1 March 2017 or at the call of the President.
David W. Garvin
David W. Garvin,
LTC, USA (Ret)